An Introduction to Big Data
A tutor from MyKindaFuture (www.mykindafuture.com) met with 60 Year 9 students who have chosen computing as one of their Year 10 option choices. The event was paired with Tata Consultancy Services (www.tcs.com) whose volunteers helped to host the two hour workshop focusing on ‘Big Data’ – explaining what it is and the benefits it has to businesses in the society we live in.
Data has increased phenomenally since the millennium creating daily data of over 2.5 Exabytes! Data is compiled from store loyalty cards, financial institutes, medical records, social media, retailers and many more. The information is analysed to see how we behave. "To understand today - so we can design for tomorrow."
Students were made aware of their ‘soft skills;’ the types of traits and attributes required for a job in the ICT industry and the many ICT stereotypes. Real life technology was discussed with Tata Consultancy employee Sanjay Singh, who spoke about his career in the banking, pharmaceutical and airline industries that has enabled him to work all over the world.
Students then worked in groups to create an internal social network for the school. Students had to identify the purpose of the network, what information they need to collect from their users, how people join and the design of a profile page.
The importance of communication as an employability skill, body language, habitual gestures, first impressions and verbal fillers were discussed and students were asked to practice what they had learned by presenting their ideas to the rest of the group.
The ideas and presentations were judged by the Tata Consultancy employers who chose group 8 as the winners with their ‘ischool’ app.
- I really enjoyed it. We learned more about data and how computers are used at work.
- I enjoyed my experience with MyKindaFuture and TCS. It inspired me more about IT and teamwork and they have helped me feel more comfortable and confident with my future career path.
- I enjoyed this workshop. I was able to learn something about IT.
- I enjoyed today because the staff here were very nice and I explained very well.
- It was a fun experience that helped me to learn more about my future.