Introduction to United College Sixth Form
Nova Hreod Academy and Swindon Academy are part of the United Learning School Cluster which share the same Sixth Form. United College Sixth Form offers students at Nova Hreod Academy and Swindon Academy a consistent approach to learning and a streamlined transition between GCSE study and post-16 A level and vocations qualifications.
United College Sixth Form is based at Beech Avenue, a short distance from the Nova Hreod Academy site. Set within a dedicated suite, for use just by sixth formers, we attract young people from all over the town but serve as the natural progression for students already at Nova Hreod Academy who are studying their GCSE’s.
Each year we invite Nova pupils to attend tours and presentations with staff at United College Sixth Form, so they can ask questions and check if this is the right choice of Sixth Form for them. Here are some key points to keep in mind when deciding on where to spend those crucial two years before you leave school and either move into your chosen career or start university:
- STEM Grammar Stream: For students who intend to apply for the top universities or move into careers where Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths are key, United College Sixth Form offers a unique starting point as the only STEM provision in the area. The partnership with Marlborough College enables students to get extra support with UCAS applications and much more.
- Career Pathways: Students can study individual subjects that suit their interests, or they can opt to follow one of Career Pathways. Career Pathways contain subjects that are essential for progressing their chosen career and suggested complimentary subjects. Each Career Pathway is also accompanied by its own unique Supra-Curricular Programme, which provides added value and experience to their studies, giving them opportunities for gaining competitive advantage that will support applications for university places and employment.
- Core Sixth Form: We run a wide range of A Level and vocational qualifications in some of the best facilities available, e.g. dance, sport, music, languages, history, psychology can be studied. We can help you with subject choices when you apply.
- Community spirit: We have a limit of only 200 students at United College Sixth Form and have a large body of staff to support them, both in their studies, and with pastoral care. This means at United College Sixth Form, students get to know each other well, and there is a real community feel to the place. There’s a great variety of enrichment activities and clubs, and every day starts with a coffee in the common room, where students and staff get together.
- Structured approach to learning: we believe that the best way to ensure good results is to provide focused support from teachers, and a regular work schedule each week. Every student has access to daily tutor contact; highly trained teaching staff; careers support and one-to-one dedicated help with UCAS or work applications.
To find out more about United College Sixth Form, please see what our staff and students say at https://youtu.be/woTtIS7WDsk or for more information, please see the United College Sixth Form website at: https://www.swindon-academy.org/unitedcollege6f